Wednesday, July 10, 2013

Crime Stoppers 5k

Happy (late) Fourth of July!

We spent our morning running the Crime Stoppers & Rotary Club 5k along Higgs & Smathers Beach. Pretty good way to kick off a holiday, if you ask me! The run was orchestrated by Southernmost Runners, which puts on the majority of runs down here. Registration included a pretty sweet swag bag, including a shirt that will look fab on my running shirt quilt! It felt pretty nice out, which was a bonus considering the thunderstorms that we were expecting.

www.southernmostrunners.com

It was, however, horribly windy - a runners nightmare. The first half of the run was pretty tough just because we were running right into the wind. At least the run back wasn't quite as bad. The absolute worst part of the run was a stretch along Smathers where the seaweed had just been shoveled. The smell...it was...oh I can't think about it. Literally every runner was trying not to gag through there - M & I sprinted through that little stretch both ways!

The mister's friend signed up for the race that morning, and since M was running with me I told him to run with his friend since they are faster than us. He and his friend crossed the finish line then came back to run alongside us for the final stretch to encourage us. I love that man of mine.

Post-race with my mister. Excuse my frizz, stupid Florida humidity.

So. The results. I came in in 176th place out of 218 runners, 20th (last) in my age group for women. My time was 41:52, with an average of 13:30 min/mile. Not my best, not my worst - and I'm perfectly happy with that. The wind was tough, I hadn't done that distance since April, and I freaking did it.

Finally back on track with my eating after my little splurge week last week. Please forgive me, Weight Watchers! I promise [to try] not to stray again.

Up next is the Hemingway 5k on July 20th, an evening run. I think I'll sport my SparkleSkirt for that one.

What's next on your race calendar?

Oh, and on another note: I haven't missed a single day of the 30 Day Ab and Squat Challenges!! I did almost die after 100 squats last night, though.

I leave you with this, all the motivation I need:

Swoon. [cue dramatic sigh with head propped on fist.]

No comments:

Post a Comment